Wednesday, February 25, 2009

40 days w/o Sweets: Mardi Gras (Day -1)

Wow, my blog is getting off to a great start. I just deleted some posts since they were going nowhere. I've decided to blog about my newest undertaking meanwhile. It'll keep me on track, hopefully, and maybe kickstart my blogging.
First off, I'm not a "practicing Catholic", as they like to say. I try to honor God in my everyday life, in the way I live and act, but I don't go to church on Sunday or abstain from meat on the assigned Fridays. However, I do like the Lenten sacrifice and try to genuinely think of something it would be hard for me to do without for 40 days. It's more like borrowing someone else's time constraint though - someone else dictates which 40 days. Otherwise, "I'll start tomorrow."
So this year it's sweets. I've got a giant sweet tooth (and the waistline to match.) I usually have SOMETHING sweet everyday. So can I live 40 days without a late-night run to the 7-11 to pick up some Ben & Jerry's or making cakes and munching on the scraps? Can I resist when one of the clan brings home donuts or cookies? (Which they do frequently.) We'll have yet to see. I have an order for 27 Double Chocolate cupcakes due Friday. A few friend's birthdays fall in the timeframe. What to do?
So last night was Fat Tuesday! My last day for eating fattening sweets...so appropriate. However, we were low on funds so my last big hurrah was a pint of Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter cup, which I didn't eat more than a few spoonfuls of. Today is now Day 1 and payday.

No comments: